What is Unix Operating System?
Unix Operating System is an operating system which is a set of programs that act as a link between the computer and the user.In 1969-1970, Ken Thompson, Dennis Ritchie, and others at AT&T Bell Labs began developing a small operating system on a little-used PDP-7. The operating system was soon christened Unix, a pun on an earlier operating system project called MULTICS. In 1972-1973 the system was rewritten in the programming language C, an unusual step that was visionary: due to this decision, Unix was the first widely-used operating system that could switch from and outlive its original hardware. Other innovations were added to Unix as well, in part due to synergies between Bell Labs and the academic community. In 1979, the “seventh edition” (V7) version of Unix was released, the grandfather of all extant Unix systems.
Operating System is classified in two types:
- CUI: Character user Interface e.g. DOS, UNIX etc (Not User friendly)
- GUI: Graphical User Interface e.g. Windows etc (User friendly)
- UNIX was originally developed in 1969 by a group of AT&T employees at Bell Labs, including Ken Thompson, Dennis Ritchie, Douglas McElroy, and Joe Hosanna.
- Several people can use a UNIX computer at the same time; hence UNIX is called a multiuser system.
- A user can also run multiple programs at the same time; hence UNIX is called multitasking.
Different Types of Operating Systems:
- Single-user, single-process operating systems: Allow only one user at a time to use the computer system. The user can execute/run only one process at a time.
Examples: DOS, Windows 3.1
- Single-user, multi-process operating systems: Allow a single user to use the computer system; however, the user can run multiple processes at the same time.
- Multi-user, multi-process operating systems: Allow multiple users to use the computer system simultaneously. Each user can run multiple processes at the same time.
Examples: UNIX, Windows XP
This website will give you idea about different Unix Commands with its explanations.
What You will Find Related to Unix in Website?
The website is designed for users who needs to understand Unix and different Unix Commands with its real life examples.We will try to provide the correct command description with its example.Our focus is on giving the examples which are useful in IT industry and the user of this website will aware of the things practically with vast theoretical knowledge.You will find Different types of Unix Tutorial with examples as well as different type of interview questions related to Unix.
Hope these tutorials of Unix Operating system will be helpful to the website users.